If I won the lottery, I would:

About Me

I'm single (by choice), have no kids (kinda by choice), and I have a cat (by accident).

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Let's Get Physical

I took the day off work yesterday.  Being single, not having as much disposable income as I would like to travel away from this place, every year I end up having holidays left to take into the fall/winter.  Unlike most of my coworkers, who use theirs up around their kids' schedules (and have a mate's income to contribute to travel expenses).  I had 2 days left to take, and Friday was one of those days.  You should have heard the jealousy in my coworkers' tones as they wished me a good day - "I wish I could take another day off...."  "Why don't you?"  "I don't have any holidays left."  Awwwwww.

Back in the summer, my company scored a deal with a gym in our city, a corporate membership deal.  My company has, I would estimate, about 70 people throughout our 5 divisions.  Not the biggest, but not small, either.  (Can you believe it's a family business?  I still can't.  I've worked for family businesses.  And they suck.  This company is the true exception, and I tell everyone who asks as much.)  So, part of the deal was, 10 people had to sign up.  Ten.  And the deal includes family members.  We get a discount, and the company is contributing a portion.  In the end, I pay $25 a month, which is deducted from my pay cheque.  This is cheaper than a membership to the YMCA.

So, I signed up, once I found out where it was located (I work and live downtown, and I don't own a car.  Easy accessibility is a requirement.).  After the mad signup rush, there was a total of 8 people.  EIGHT.  Out of 70.  Oh wait, one of those 8 was a spouse, not an employee.  Pa.The.Tic.  I shook my head A LOT that day. 

I am someone who needs to lose weight.  I'm not obese.  But I can definitely stand to lose 25 to 30 pounds.  Age is catching up to me, and is affecting my metabolism.

So, I figured it was about time I visited The Gym.  See what I signed up for.  And that was what I did on Friday. 

Once I found it (which wasn't too hard), I went in and was greeted with a big smile, but not an overwhelming personality.  I walked up and handed her the form I'd been told to take with me (that has been tucked in my purse for 3 months).  She asked if I'd like a tour.  Sure, why not?  So, she calls Ryan to come show me around.  She was sure to tell him I'm a "corporate" member.  Ahhhh, that's what that form was for. 

Do you have ANY idea what corporate membership means?  I found out.  Yowza.  The Gym offers all these classes, that I can take at no additional charge.  Every day, there's something.  I need variety, or I get bored quickly.  And most importantly, these classes are offered at times that I can actually attend.  When I've looked into classes elsewhere, they always started at 5:00 or so; my work day ends at 5:00. 

There's tanning beds, a spa, a place to iron my clothes... all included.  What's not included is the massage therapist (which they made sure to note, is included in my work's medical benefits.).  And they offer personal trainers (not included, natch). 

I have 3 appointments next week, for various training in programs.  Included in the corporate membership (turns out the stretching course is offered to everyone, so I signed up for that one as well.).

My luck with quitting smoking didn't pan out.  This time.  Let's see how this Gym one goes.  Once again, I'll ask you to wish me luck.  Don't ask me to post "before" pictures.  I'll take a couple for my own use & enjoyment.  If all goes on a good track, I may share with you.......

No comments:

Post a Comment