If I won the lottery, I would:

About Me

I'm single (by choice), have no kids (kinda by choice), and I have a cat (by accident).

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Whiny Workers (pt. 2)

A continuation of my previous post....

Tasks Assigned to Them.

Anyone who has worked in any sort of group environment, has likely encountered that co-worker who has no problem using the following phrase: "That's Not My Job."

This post obviously does not apply to unionized workers.  Their job descriptions are carved in stone, and when a questionnable task arises, the union must gather to break that stone and re-carve their list.  Which is why union negotiations may take months, if not years.  And why I am truly opposed to unions for anyone NOT in a specialized field (medicine, and by medicine, I mean doctors and nurses, not the WRHA), anyone NOT a trade worker, or anyone NOT in a position that poses some physical danger (miners).  And NOT city or provincial employees who sit behind desks all day long with nothing more than a bachelor's degree or race/religion/sex that made them qualified for their position.  Unions, in my opinion, have lost their original meaning, which was to protect the employees physically, and to ensure wages are fair and accurate.  Another subject for another day.

My job description is really vague.  I assist my manager with a portfolio of properties.  There are a couple specifics on that description, but if my job was limited to those tasks, I would work a total of 6 hours a month.  So, it's left open with "other tasks as required."

There are certain things I will not do in my job.  One of those things is handling after-hours emergencies.  You see, in my company, the managers are provided with company-paid cell phones, for the purpose of taking calls at all hours.  And the managers are paid in accordance with these extra hours.  So, any calls I would take, would be on my own phone.  That I pay for.  That I am not reimbursed for.  One of our maintenance guys, a couple years back, phoned me a couple times on a couple weekends, to ask me work related questions.  He got my home phone number from a company listing that is given to everybody.  After the second time he did this, I told my manager that if I take one more call, I expect to be paid a minimum of $50.  I haven't received a call since.  However, my own manager has called me a few times, to ask me quick questions.  He's always apologetic, and it only ever takes a couple minutes.  I've told him, sometimes if he's looking for something, it's probably quicker just to call & ask me where to find it.  If it helps him end his work day 15 minutes earlier (and he's already working late), I'm happy to help.  This isn't a job requirement.  This is respect for my manager, and understanding the hours he puts in.  Over the past few years, appreciation for this has been reflected time and again.

My job description says I work with my manager.  So, if I were one of those TNMJ'ers, does that mean I can refuse a request from a vice president?  Hardly.  One time, the VP from another division contacted me (it was a time when my boss was on holidays) about a property we manage; he was doing an appraisal of a similar property, and we can provide details for comparison (these appraisals are worth big bucks).  Having been down this road before (one of those "other tasks" I mentioned earlier), I know easily what information I can share without breaching privacy guidelines.  So, I told this VP, no prob, I'd send him what I could by email.  20 mins later, he got it.  Within a day, he sent an email to my division's VP and my manager, expressing his appreciation of me, my manager for how he's taught me, and our division for teaching me an understanding of the workings between our multiple divisions.  (don't worry, he'd already emailed me his own heartfelt appreciation)  At my review this year, I was told that I was not only getting positive feedback from my own superiors, but from other divisions and higher up.  All I could say was "Cool."

Now, there are other people who do pretty much the job I do, on varying levels of course.  I watch some of these people, and listen to their issues.  Some of the managers, for example, are doing tasks that I do on a daily basis, instead of giving them to their assistants.  I've spoken with my manager on occasion, on what I should be doing or not.  Number one on the list is capability:  I've proven that I can be trusted to use good judgment, and take a moment & ask when I'm not sure.  I've shown a willingness to learn, so that my manager and I can make a stronger team.

It's funny, in a way.... there are regular things that go to all other managers only, except mine: those things are brought to me instead of my boss.  Sure, sometimes I can complain about being overworked.  But my manager is very busy, as well.  I see some of the other 2 person teams, and it makes me cringe, how the manager is running ragged, doing 10 things at once, working 10 hours a day... while their assistant is surfing the net or gossiping a good portion of every day.  It's wrong.  Whenever the subject comes up, I bring up the subject of team work.  Each manager and their assistant is a team.

So, what's my point?  People who say That's Not My Job will miss out on a lot of potential.  If I had to guess, I'd say my salary is higher than those around me (but I will never know for sure.... I don't discuss that).  My manager and I work independently of each other, I think in part because he trusts me at a level to be envied by others.  And I learn so much. 

Right now, we're nearing the end of Budget Season.  Some assistants, their budget jobs are simply data entry and computer formatting.  Mine is catching inconsistencies in the numbers the boss is providing, helping calculate amortizations, catching expenses that were left out previously, and most recently, calculating leasing commissions (this is something I learned this year).  These aren't overly complicated, once you learn them.  And it's not like they take a lot of time for either of us. 

Think of it this way:  If you're my age, you're going to work another 30 years.  Might as well make the time worth while, right?  If you only do what is in your job description, you're going to get bored - and redundant - very quickly.  Redundant meaning replaceable.  If I can make it look like I can do my job AND yours at the same time, and the day comes for cutbacks (which I've suffered through a couple times).... well, I'd prefer to secure my position over yours, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment